Tuesday, August 23, 2011

A Road Traveled

Cancer. It's a new six letter bad word, isn't it? Almost worse the the four letter bad words that are so prevalent in our vocabulary. Cancer wreaks havoc on lives and brings the strongest of people to their knees. It makes grown men cry. It causes women to weep. It leaves children without parents, parents without children. Cancer strips away any security that was once felt. Cancer. It gives many of us the ibby-jibbies just thinking about it. Many of us are praying cancer by-passes us and those we love. Yet, here we are, in a society where cancer is running rampant and it shows no favorites. Cancer.
As I embark on writing Yesterday's Hope, a good portion of it deals with cancer. I am going to travel down a road that is quite familiar to me. Chris' grandparents died of cancer. Chris' mom has cancer (and is beating it, by the way). Chris' great-uncle has prostate cancer. My step-dad has stage four lung cancer. My brother-in-law's father just passed away from stomach cancer. And a really precious woman, Cynthia, went to be home with Jesus due to cancer. So, this is a road frequently traveled by me and Chris' family. And sometimes, just sometimes, I have to wonder, God, are You there? Then, I am reminded of the words of Jesus, "In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world!" And then, peace. Peace fills my soul. Jesus HAS overcome the world. He tells me to take heart! Peace. He has also said He won't leave us alone. "And lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age." He promises to be with the woman going through chemo to fight breast cancer. He promises to be with the wife waiting in the hospital's waiting room, anxious to find out if the cancer has spread through her husband's body. He is with the parent who lost their child to that rare form of cancer. He is with you. Always. Even to the end of the age. Always. He may not stop the cancer from happening. He may not heal the person who asks. But He is with you. Always.
It isn't easy traveling down this road. It hurts those going through it and it hurts those watching them go through it. Not only is God with you, but He comforts you. As I write Yesterday's Hope, I am praying for all who will read it. I am praying for comfort on those who are battling with cancer, and I am praying for those who are battling with them. And please, pray for me as I write this book.  Let me leave you with one more promise from God, "Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and the God of all comfort."

No comments:

Post a Comment