Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Opposite of Faith

My youth pastor from years ago used to talk about the opposite of faith. He would tell us it wasn't doubt. He told the youth group it was negativity. I have been a Christian for over twenty years now, and that one statement has stuck with me (amongst many others Chuck would say). Recently, I have discovered that has been my problem. I was having the opposite of faith. I was negative and complaining a lot. The weird thing is, by nature, I am a positive and optimistic person. I truly am! It is one of the things that has a tendency to drive those I love crazy. I normall look at life through "rose colored glasses". I don't see the glass half empty, but rather, half full. I can typically look at a situation and know it will all work out in the end, and if it hasn't, it's not the end (Max Lucado). So, imagine my surprise one day when I realized how negative I was being. Friends would call and ask how I was. I would complain about the kids or whatever thought came my way! Chris and I were on a date and walking around one of the many lakes we have here in Colorado. I gazed at the lake while waiting for Chris to come out of the bathroom. I saw little ripples form. I was like those ripples. I would start complaining and being negative and my bad attitude would just keep going and going. It wouldn't stop, much like those ripples. I decided at that moment that I was done complaining. No more of it! No more negativity. Because, you see, it really is the opposite of faith. How can I expect God to move in my life if I am negative? He won't always move the way I want, but there is still good in that, too. I have been less negative this week, and it shows in my every day life, including my writing. I am more open to criticism about my writing. I am more apt to make changes and see things through a postitive mind set. So, if you wonder why you aren't joyful, try to be positive and not negative. It makes all the difference in the world. Oh, and Chuck, thanks for speaking the truth! I am thankful, some twenty years later, that you did! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment