Sunday, November 20, 2011

Hope for Tomorrow Book Signing




I had my very first book signing on Friday, November 11 from 5pm to 7 pm.  As the day arrived, I went about my normal tasks. I got the boys up for their Friday school. I volunteered my hour and a half at the school. I went to Starbuck's to get my peppermint mocha (decaf of course) and then went grocery shopping and back to the school for Gage's science fair. By the time I got home, it was nearly 1 o'clock! I put away the groceries, ate a quick lunch, and sat down to read for a few minutes before I was supposed to pick up the boys at 3. Once I picked them up and we arrived home, my sister called to tell me she and her boys were on their way down to my house. She had canceled her plans with a neighbor just to come to the signing! Steff took the boys to Sam's Club for dinner and a treat and met me at Mardel Christian Bookstore. I was greeted by Jason once I walked in and informed him I was the author. He showed me the table and offered to get me pens and whatever else I needed. Dana, I believe the store manager, brought me two bottles of water, and then, I waited. I spoke with a man who had some physical issues, but he bought the book and sat down and talked with me some more. Jim is in need of a liver transplant. I immediately put him on my prayer list! Sarah came by on her way doing errands before she left for Kansas for her grandmother's funeral. Steff and the boys showed up with Chris, Russell, and Uncle Dale. Debbie, a woman from the church we used to go to, stopped by and bought a book and filled me in on her and her husband's lives. It was a blessing to have her there, even though we don't go to the same church anymore, she took time out of her day to support me. Rachel, a woman with three kids whose husband was out of town from our current small group, came and bought the book and talked with me a bit. Daniel and Tasha and their three kids showed up, as well, to buy the book and encourage me (they are from our current small group, too). It was a blessing that by 6:30, I had signed and sold 4 books! I had prayed for only 5 because I still don't know a lot of people in Colorado, and I didn't know how it would turn out. By 6:45, I had to use the bathroom, so Steff sat in for me. Of course, while I was away, a woman came and took a book and talked with Steff. Once I came back, I was able to meet Lisa and sign her copy. Overall, the book signing went well. Dana told me that selling 5 books was a huge deal because many authors don't even sell one! :) That made me happy. She even invited me back in January! When I got home, Steff had a cake that said, "Congratulations Joi" on it and had bought sparkling cider to celebrate! As I look back on that day, I was surrounded by family and friends who have been encouraging me in this crazy ride of writing! I am blessed beyond all I could ask, hope, and think! So, my signing was a success, and I look forward to having more! Perhaps I can even get to CA for one! :) Thanks, friends and family, who put so much time in encouraging me and showing me your love and support! I can't thank you enough!

No comments:

Post a Comment