Friday, November 23, 2012

Fun Fridays-Black Friday

I do not like shopping. I don't like clothes shopping, I don't like grocery shopping. I just do not like shopping. It makes me crazy. So, when I first heard about Black Friday, I thought it was absolutely insane. I'm talking, people are freaks of nature for wanting to get up at the crack of dawn to fight the crowds just for a good deal. Absolutely, beyond a shadow of a doubt, insane.
I was first introduced to Black Friday when I visited friends in Ohio during Thanksgiving the year I graduated from high school. The mall was jammed packed. For some reason, my friend thought it would be awesome to go. I, on the other hand, didn't really enjoy it.
So when I was asked by my sister and Joanne Long if I wanted to go with them one year, I laughed. Uh, no. Not hardly. But for some reason, I was up early that morning, so I thought I would go just to see what the hoopla was all about. I met Steff and Jo in line. It was crazy. I mean crazy! We braved the chilly weather as we waited for Walmart to open. Brrr!!!
Customers ran through-out the store, searching for the best deal. Since that time, I haven't missed a Black Friday Shopping day! Joanne Long and I would meet, Mike would bring us coffee, and we'd wait in line. Moving to Colorado, I still didn't miss a year. Steff, Russell, and I braved the chilly weather and slight snow and got up early. We drove around, found amazing deals, and had a blast. I went to work at noon that day and lasted until 8. Yep. Old Navy was busy that day, and I loved it! Made the time go by fast!
The year we moved to Denver, Steff and I met early and braved the crowds once again. And again, it was a blast! The next year, my boys got the stomach flu. No meeting up with Steff to do shopping. Nope. I had to face the crowds by myself and be back in time for Chris to go to work. The next year, free from the flu, the boys and I stayed the night at the Ferris'. We didn't even sleep. Nope. We went to Target at 10:00. And let me tell you, it was CHILLY! We got some fun deals, though, and then went to Walmart. By the time we got back, we did really well on getting Christmas gifts for others.
This year, Black Friday is here. What will I be doing? Not Black Friday shopping. Nope. I will be working. I am going to miss my Black Friday shopping. But this year, instead of spending money, I will be making money. :) While I will miss shopping, I just don't think I can handle not sleeping more than a few hours.
So, for all my Black Friday buddies, have fun! Enjoy! Think of me serving coffee to people while you are all having fun! Next year, I hope to get back to my Black Friday tradition.

No comments:

Post a Comment