Monday, November 19, 2012

Monday Matters-A Little Thanksgiving Please

Let me start out by saying I love, love Christmas! I always have! It's one of my favorite holidays. There's just something magical about celebrating the birth of my Savior!
That being said, I really am distraught about this glorious holiday this year. Before Halloween was even over, Christmas decorations went up in stores. I love decorating for Christmas as much as the next person, but before Halloween? Hm. Not really liking this so much.
Then, on the way home from work about two weeks ago, I saw a house completely decorated for Christmas. Yesterday, Chris took me to work. We passed that house and their curtains were pulled back, revealing a Christmas tree! Last night, as we drove to the grocery store, we saw a ranch/house seriously decked out! What? Wait a minute! What happened to Thanksgiving?
I know, I know. Thanksgiving isn't a money maker like Christmas. I get it. But we still have so much to be thankful for, even if we aren't spending money yet.
You see, I love Thanksgiving. While it isn't my favorite holiday, I still enjoy it. I think back to the many Thanksgivings I've had. One thing I remember growing up was that my dad would have a bunch of nuts with a nut cracker sitting on our coffee table. It was fun to gather around and crack those nuts and eat them!
When I was older, we added a new tradition. We'd go around the table and say what we were thankful for. Those were and still are very special memories for me.
Granted, my children may grow up with different memories. Oh, we still go around and say what we're thankful for. But they'll also remember the stomach flu hitting them and having to cancel our turkey dinner with family (the one year I was supposed to host it). We still went around and said what we were grateful for. :)
I love telling family and friends what I'm thankful for, the things God has seen fit to give me or allow me to go through. I love pausing and giving thanks to the One who holds my life in the palm of His hands. I really think Thanksgiving is a precurser to Christmas, don't you? Before the hubub of Black Friday shopping, Christmas decorations coming down from the rafters, and the mayhem of the holiday, I think Thanksgiving causes us to stop and pause and breathe and be thankful to the One who gave us so much, including His very life.
So, this week, I am not going to listen to Christmas music (until after Thursday). I am going to bask in the wonderful holiday I know and love as Thanksgiving! :) Who will join me? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment