Monday, November 12, 2012

Monday Matters-She Works Hard for Her Money

I haven't worked in 3 years. Okay, let me rephrase that because working doesn't always mean getting paid money. I have worked for a very long time. Being a stay-at-home mom, homeschooling kids, and writing is really quite a big job. So, I haven't worked outside the home in 3 years.
My last job was at Old Navy in Colorado Springs. Located in the mall, we were busy off and on. I enjoyed working there. I think I spent more of my paychecks there than I did on bills! Not a good thing!
Since the boys have been in school beginning in August, mine and Chris' plan was for me to get a part time job, one where I can still have time to write. And so the search began! At first, I had limitations on when I could work. But I applied at restaraunts, retail stores, everywhere. After thinking and praying about it, I changed my criteria. I had open availibitity and would work out whatever times I worked with the boys' school schedule. I called Starbucks and had 2 interviews. They kept telling me they'd call me back and never did. I finally reached the manager and she informed me they had hired someone already but would have the assistant manager call me. Never did. Then I decided to apply at Target and Old Navy, completely open to when I can work. I received an email from Target saying thanks but no thanks and didn't hear from Old Navy. I even called and spoke to a manager. No such luck.
This entire time, I've been praying God will put me where He wants me. Where can I make a difference? What place would allow me to work and still have time to write? Lord, can I have a set schedule so it doesn't freak out my family week by week?
Really, I just want a job to help pay off debt, build up a savings, and bring glory to God's kingdom (not in that order). After looking at Craigslist every day, several times a day, I was getting annoyed but still at peace that God had a plan. And then it happened. I looked one afternoon and lo and behold! A small coffee shop 8 minutes from my house was hiring! I called and yep, they were hiring. I went in and grabbed an application and filled it out while sitting there. Foothills Coffee House is small and quaint. I could probably work there. I do love me some coffee! :)
Two days later, I received a call from the owner asking for an interview the next day. I got all gussied up and headed down there. I waited and waited. She didn't come. Well, the barista, Michelle, texted her to remind her of my interview. The owner was so busy with her other job, she had forgotten. I told Michelle not a problem. Just tell her I can start on Monday and all will be fine. Michelle did, and after a few texts to the owner, I got the job! The easiest interview EVER! :)
I worked every day last week, 3 training 31/2 on my own. I love working at a coffee shop. I loved it after high school. I love it now. I get to talk to people, make yummy drinks, and make money all at the same time. I don't know why God has me there yet, but I am looking every day! I love this place and hope to help it bring in more business. :) I also thank God for the opportunity to work there, help pay off debt, and still have time to write! God is good all the time!

No comments:

Post a Comment