Thursday, November 15, 2012

Throwback Thursdays-Friends of Old

When I think back to when I first became a believer, I am often reminded of friends who helped shape and mold who I am today. The list is pretty big, and I will do my best to remember everyone. :)
I want to start off with Joanne Long. She's the one who really kicked my rear the day I was getting baptized, reminding me of the commitment I was about to make. Since then, Jo and I have had a few adventures! We've gone hiking together and almost got attacked while inside her car by a crazy dog jumping on her hood. We've worked together at Applebees and had many a times of shared frustration. Of course, there were the smoothies we enjoyed together, too. That was before marriage and kids. I won't mention after marriage and kids because, well, it's throwback Thursday. :)
Then there's Chris Harbit. Ah, my big brother of long ago. Chris taught me how to drive, literally. He'd toss me the keys and say, "Go." I recall a time when I was on a hill and pretty freaked out about stopping in a stick. Chris was calm and patient and kept encouraging me. Chris and I went to one of my proms together, too. He spent time in the restroom with his cousin because his cousin couldn't get his fly up (I think his cousin's shirt was stuck or something). Chris would often come over to the house and just hang. We'd make late night trips to Wendy's to get frostys. Oh, and then there were the funny stories of Chris putting the cat on the ceiling fan and turning it on or when we had to dispose of the dead dog in the bag my youngest sister was playing with!
Patrick Mesker is another brother of mine. I think it was Pat who played the song, "Boot to the Head" for me. I remember often sitting in the back of his BRAT while going to church or to Denny's after church.
Ronda Herriot was another friend who I spent a lot of time with. We'd hang out at summer school together. I don't remember much of what I learned that year, but I remember Ronda. We'd laugh during our breaks. We'd hang out at church and after church with Chris and Pat.
John Gregg. Yep, I spent lots of time with John in my early years of Christianity. One of his trademarks would be taking my hand in his and saying, "I'm going to kiss the hand of the most beautiful person in the world." He'd then bring my hand to his lips and flip my hand over so he could kiss his own! Silly boy!
Danny Stradley was a friend who'd I hang out with, too. He and his brother, Ray, would come over to the house and watch the Rapture movies with a bunch of other people. Danny and I went to see the Muppets Christmas Carol together. :)
Julie Storlie. Now there's a friend who was pretty awesome. She was always encouring in my walk with Christ. We'd give each other Bible verses and talk a lot about Jesus. I stayed the night at her house a lot. Her home was my second home for many years. She was so go with the flow, too. I loved her silly sense of humor. When my boyfriend and I broke up, she stayed the night at my house, and sang me a song out of nowhere, "Rain drops keep falling on my head." I laughed and cried at the same time!
Kimberly Broadwell came into my life a few years down the road. But what a friend! She's still my best friend. We had lots of fun times together, where she would make me laugh so hard, I'd have to pull the car over because I couldn't see while I was driving! We'd go on hikes and sing, "Just around the riverbend!" She'd come over to my house and we would laugh and cry together. So many memories with her!
Aaron Hale and Brian Borgess were always together, too! We'd have lots of fun hanging out!
There are so many more friends who have special places in my heart, so many memories buried within my mind. I wish I could name you all! But know that I am forever grateful for the impact you had on my life! I appreciate you all so much and love you dearly!

1 comment:

  1. I can think of quite of few other adventures you didn't mention...fun times!

    ReplyDelete