Thursday, November 29, 2012

Throwback Thursdays-A Hard One to Write

Boy, this is a tough post to write. But as I look back to my early years in following Jesus, there's just no way I can NOT write about Melody Hunnicutt.
I can't tell you the first day I met Melody. I can't tell you what brought us to be such great friends. I can tell you the impact she had on my life. I can tell you the funny things we did together. And I can tell you my biggest regret when it comes to Miss Melody. I'm not sure I've shared it with many people, but I feel I need to.
Melody and I had weight training class together. I remember her spotting me while I was lifting weights. She'd push me to go harder, lift more, and work out with all my might. We'd enoucage each other with scripture, challenging one another with what we learned from our personal Bible studies. We'd find the most disgusting thing in the Bible and compare whose were the worst. Then we'd giggle. And believe me, there are some pretty gross stuff in the Word of God! And Mel and I? Well, we found them.
I remember one day I was having a really hard time. She found me after Bible study and sat with me. I talked and we cried together. The next day, she gave me a 3x5 card with a verse on it: 2 Cor.4:16-18. It was amazing how much she understood me. But she wasn't like that with only me. No, she poured herself into others. She worked with jr. high, she spent time with family and friends. Don't get me wrong. Melody was by far not perfect. She had issues just like everyone else. I won't go into them because they aren't my issues to share (and yes, I do remember them). But she loved whole-heartedly.
One Thursday, she called and asked me if I wanted to go with her to the mall. She and another friend were going. I despise shopping. Always have, always will (except Black Friday). That particular day, I told her no thanks. But I'd see her on the weekend. A bunch of us girls were getting together to go hiking.
That Friday night, Melody was in an accident that took her life. My biggest regret was not going with her that day to the mall. To laugh with her and joke with her, to pray with her and just be her friend. Nope. I gave in to my own selfishness and didn't go because it didn't sound like fun. I'm not weighed down by the guilt anymore, though it took quite a while for me to let that go. But I don't want to have those regrets anymore. One thing I learned from her death was to live life like it's my last day on earth. Is it fun to do certain things? No. But is it worth it in the end? You bet.
I miss Melody. I wonder what direction our lives would have taken us had she still lived. But I know she's with Jesus, singing her praises to Him, glorifying Him in a new body, receiving many rewards for the amazing things she did on earth.
Don't have any regrets. Make peace where peace needs to be made. Love fully, laugh often, and live for Him.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing Joi. Memories from a lifetime ago...

    ReplyDelete