Friday, December 7, 2012

Fun Fridays-More Christmas Traditions

I love our Christmas traditions! One of them is when we decorate the tree. Admittedly, I think this is the first year Chris and I didn't get in a tiff while putting up the lights on the tree. I think it's because I realized he doesn't like my help while doing that part. I don't know why it took 13 years for me to realize it! So this year, Chris came home from work, we had a yummy dinner, and then it was tree decorating time! I put out all the ornaments on our ottoman. The boys picked ones they wanted to hang up, and we talked about what some of the ornaments meant, where they came from, why we had them. I love this part of decorating the tree! It's one of my favorite things to do! We don't just grab as many as we can and throw them up there. No, we talk about it. I love it! And each year, we get a new ornament symbolizing something special that happened over the last year. I really enjoy looking at all the years gone by with special ornaments. We have pictures of people who've passed away. We have pictures of our kids for their first Christmas. We have a snowman for when we visited the Ferris' in Ohio. Kim Broadwell made me a book ornament with the actual pages of my first novel, Hope for Tomorrow. I cannot even tell you how much I love hanging up that one! What a joy! This year, we have two ornaments we are going to purchase and hang up. The first one is one Garrison will pick out. It's going to be something that symbolizes his baptism. That was a big one and definitely needs to go on the tree. The second is going to be one that affected us all. The buying of our house. I'm excited to be able to find these two ornaments and place them on our tree! I love that our tree isn't elegant. It's got ornaments that are handmade, that reflect our family. I don't think a Christmas tree for my family is only a thing of beauty. It's a reminder of what God has done in our lives! What about you? What is one holiday tradition you and your family share?

1 comment:

  1. We hang our Christmas cross on the wall. It's made from a fake tree, fashioned in the shape of a cross. It's adorned with lights and holly. Blessings and Merry Christmas, Susan Fryman

    ReplyDelete