Friday, December 14, 2012

Fun Fridays-More Than Family

I met my husband in 1997. We began dating and over the course of a year, we knew we'd end up marrying. I'm so glad we did! Not only is he the love of my life, he's my best friend, my support system, my encourager, my corrector. He is the second best thing to happen to me (Jesus being number one.)
I met his mom, who lived in Indiana at the time while we were still dating but before we got engaged. Her first words to me were, "You're tall!" It's still a joke with us. The pictures she'd seen of Chris and I were with us sitting down. She had no idea I was a few inches taller than she was. It makes me laugh, even after 15 years!
Jan and I got along pretty quick. When she left to go home, we talked often on the phone. She helped tremendously with our wedding, even though distance separated us. After Chris and I married, Mom and I talked at least once a month, if not more. We began developing a great relationship.
Mom, Dave, and Sarah moved out to CA shortly after Chris and I were married. I remember her saying she didn't want to be so far away when the grandkids started coming.
As the Good Lord would have it, Chris and I uprooted our family and moved to Colorado. I know that was hard for Mom, but she'd visited us three times before she and her new husband (Dave passed away), decided to move out here during this last summer.
What a blessing it's been! Not because of her watching the boys or anything like that, but our relationship has blossomed. It's been great to have Mom here. We've done zumba together (although a bad knee right now isn't allowing me to do this), we've been yard saling together, shopping, and then, of course, just having coffee/hot chocolate together. Mom has been here since July, and I can honestly say, I feel closer to her now than ever before. Mom has become not just a mother-in-law, but really, one of my very best friends! I love you, Mom! I am so glad you are here!

No comments:

Post a Comment