Thursday, December 13, 2012

Throwback Thursdays-This Present Darkness

I can't be a writer and not share some books that have made a huge impact on my life, especially as a believer. Just can't happen!
I've always loved reading. Growing up, I'd read the Sweet Valley High Twins books, The Babysitters Club books, and anything else I could get my hands on that struck my fancy. When I became a Christian, that didn't change. I just rewired myself to read Christian fiction (which after reading V.C. Andrews was a really good thing).
I heard about Frank Peretti pretty early on. I don't remember who told me about him, probably Chuck Booher, my youth pastor at the time. Or maybe one of my sister's friends. Guess it doesn't really matter. But someone told me about This Present Darkness, and I knew I had to read this book! I remember laying in my bed (a green futon that turned into a chair), covered up with my blankets, reading about angels and demons. Here's the blurb:
“For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places.”
Ephesians 6:12

Ashton is just a typical small town. But when a skeptical reporter and a prayerful, hardworking pastor begin to investigate mysterious events, they suddenly find themselves caught up in a hideous New Age plot to enslave the townspeople, and eventually the entire human race. The physical world meets the spiritual realm as the battle rages between forces of good and evil.
This Present Darkness is a gripping story that brings keen insight into spiritual warfare and the necessity of prayer. Since its original publication more than 2.7 million copies have been sold. The companion volume, Piercing the Darkness, continues the story of the battle between spiritual forces;


It was an amazing book that really opened my eyes to the spiritual realm that I couldn't see. I continued to read the next book, Piercing the Darkness, and every other book Frank Peretti wrote! This wasn't just a great fictional book for me. Like most fiction stories, I try to gleam something and apply it to my life. These two books opened my eyes to the battle going on around me that I don't see.While I know it is fiction, it was an amazing journey I took! Loved these books! Have you read them? If so, what was your favorite part?

1 comment:

  1. I love Frank Peretti's books. They have had a huge impact on how I view Satan's influence in this world and how God uses His angels to help us.

    ReplyDelete