Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Tiffany Colter....Find out about her special deal!

Today, we're joined by Tiffany Colter!


How did you know you wanted to become a writer?

I have always wanted to be a writer. It was just a part of me. When I was 6 years old I was already writing stories and telling people that I’d be a writer when I grew up. When I was 10 years old and my friends were reading, “Teen Bop”, I was reading Writer’s Digest.

When I was 14 my English teacher saw potential in me and encouraged me to write. When I was a Freshman in High School my Lit teacher challenged me to “Become Famous Someday”. It wasn’t until I was in the 10th grade and a teacher gave me a D on a creative writing project that I put down my pen for a decade. I got my degree in Political Science and History. I studied to be a CIA political analyst or go in to diplomatic work. I needed a “real job”. Then my husband and I decided to start a family just before I graduated from College. I wanted to stay home with her. I worked in my mom’s daycare, then my own candle business before remembering my childhood dream.

The rest, they say, is history.


What steps did you take to follow this dream?

I started out by getting in to Jerry Jenkin’s Christian Writer’s Guild program. I loved it, but had to stop because I couldn’t afford it. Still, I made it almost to the end and learned SOOOO much. I think that is why I became the Writing Career Coach. I realized how much writers need someone to help show them the ropes. It can be a tough and confusing industry and now I have the pleasure of going across the country speaking to other writers and helping them get further, faster than I ever did.

That is the good news. The bad news is that, like all dreams, I had lots of work, rejection, insecurity, work, and learning. Oh, and did I say work?


What is the hardest thing about writing?

This will sound weird but the fact that everyone does it. I know I cannot be a doctor right away because I don’t know medicine. I cannot be a pilot, because I don’t naturally fly. The problem with writing is we all do it to some extend in school. Since I do content edits for writers of all levels as well as judge lots of writing contests, I get the opportunity to see writing of many levels. I encounter a good number of writers who have real potential but that potential needs to be refined. Instead of working with their natural talent they assume that it is the READER [or editor] who is wrong and so they never become the great writer they could be. I even heard one almost-there writer tell me once, “I stopped trying to publish because my writing went over the heads of most people.”

Writing is such a subjective industry that it honestly hard to gauge how far along you are sometimes, and it is easy to lie to yourself to make you feel better about rejection.


What is your newest release?

My newest releases are my Fiction and
Non-Fiction workbooks, but the project I really want to tell your readers about came out last spring. It is a brand new way to learn craft. It is called a training novel. What I did was I took two of my novels that were not published [but one was a requested full twice and one won the Daphne du Maurier award in 2007] and I added lessons on craft throughout the book. This is because you can learn so much about how to improve your own writing by fixing someone else’s writing. These two books are each 440 pages and one client [who is a Doctor and becoming a novelist] told me that I had an entire college course on writing in that book. My goal these last 5 ½ years has been to teach writers to write and earn a living with their writing. My training novels are a great tool to help writers learn how to improve their craft in a safe environment. That is also the book I decided to give away on today’s blog. It is a $40 book!

I didn’t ask Joi, but as I was typing I decided I really wanted to do something for everyone, so I am offering the book through Feb. 7th as a digital download for $10 by using this paypal link. And IF you buy it and then are selected to win it free, I’ll let you select any of my digital products to replace it as your free gift!! In order to give this at this low price I’m going to have to email it manually, so give me until Feb. 9th to get them all mailed. Paypay Link.
 

What are you currently working on now?

I am working on four non-fiction books and one novel right now in addition to the editing I’m doing for my clients.

-A Christian Mom in Business

-(Untitled) book on craft

-A new comprehensive coaching plan for writers

-Earning a Living as a Writer: How the good ideas you have can get you what you want. [This is currently an audio or DVD seminar with a workbook, now we’re going to take that and make a book.]

-It Cuts Both Ways [this is my novel]


What is your favorite season of the year?

Without a doubt, summer. I love watching baseball. I love the warm weather. I love the long days. I love that my kids are done with school (I homeschool three of my four daughters). I love gardens and flowers and trees and green grass.


If you could go anywhere, where would it be and why?

Quimper, France. I was an exchange student and I haven’t seen my host family in 14 years. I miss them terribly and I’d love for them to meet my family.


What is something quirky your readers would like to know about you that they don't know already?

Well, many of my readers already know that I have a hobby farm, but that is the quirky thing about me. I grew up in the city [in a fairly rough area], but I now have 2 sheep, 3 chickens, about a dozen outside cats, three large dogs and 8 ducks. I love sports and am a tomboy, but I have 4 of the girliest girls you’d ever meet. I also speak 3 languages [other than English].


Who is your biggest support and why?

Is it cliché to say my family? Well, too bad. They are my biggest support, not just as a writer, but as a person. My husband works 2 jobs and goes to school because he wants our girls to be homeschooled and have a mom at home. He also works his schedule around all the traveling I do to speak at writing conferences. My kids are also huge cheerleaders. Whenever I am working on a book they want to know all about it and applaud when it is done. They tell all of their friends about it too. That is pretty great when you consider my four girls are 9, 11, 12 and 14. Generally people assume that kids no longer would encourage me at those ages.


Tiffany gives us a special deal today! You don't want to miss this one!


Where can fans find you on the web?

Everyone can find me at www.WritingCareerCoach.com I have SOOOO many free things and oodles of information on my blog. Please, go take advantage of it. I just got back from spending 2 hours at the library [like I do every Monday] gathering new material to study. There are hundreds [possibly thousands] of hours of studying and research that goes in to the materials on my website. I make them because when I started writing we were broke. I continued to write while my husband was battling cancer, while I worked a full-time job and part-time job [when he couldn’t work] to try to stay above water. I know that we have to write in less than ideal times. I also know what it is to still have a writing dream. I want to help writers make that dream a reality.
And, if you’d like to see me live I will be teaching a continuing track this year at Write to Publish. I will also be speaking at other writing groups and conferences. Get my newsletter for updates. Or invite me to your group. If you have a low speaking budget, still contact me. I’d love to come.


Thank you for taking the time to share with us!

Thank you so much for having me!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I am definitely interested in your books about writing. I'll have to go check out your website, too. I'm always wanted to write, but never had the time and now that I have the time, I keep telling myself I'm too old. I am however, inspired my Laura Ingalls Wilder who didn't start writing professionally until she was 60. I content myself by writing historical information websites about Disneyland until I get up the nerve to finish an actual story.

    ReplyDelete