Thursday, February 7, 2013

Go and Be

I was walking on my treadmill the other day, listening to my IPOD. Audio Adrenaline's "Go and Be" song came on. I love listening to the music I grew up on, and sometimes, I really pay attention to the words. This day, this song hit me pretty hard.
It's pretty much about being who God created you to be. Nothing less. Nothing more. Just be who God designed you to be. And that got me thinking...
I compare myself to other people all of the time. It's the plain and simple truth. And when I do that, I fall short, so short.
I have gorgeous sisters. If you were to see them, you'd agree. Three of my sisters are 5'10, long legged, skinny, and beautiful. My other sister is 5'6, got great curves, and a huge smile. My sister-in-law is equally as lovely! She's got great skin, is skinny, too, and I love her face. When I compare myself to these amazing creatures, I fall short....at least in my opinion.
I'm an author. I've read outstanding works of fiction. I've read about how some writers make a lot of money, have a huge fan base, and are receiving awards left and right. My first novel sometimes makes me cringe. My second novel is a little better, but I flinch when I reread it because it could have, and should have, been so much better.
I'm a mom and a wife. I often read posts from facebook friends and see how much love and adoration they have for their kiddos. And I wonder, "Am I doing something wrong?" Why don't I always feel that way with my children?
So you see, I compare all the time. It's a struggle for me not to, yet one I am battling to overcome. I don't want to compare myself with other people. I really don't measure up when I do that.
But God has a different point of view. He doesn't want me to do this unhealthy act. The Bible tells me He knew me before I was created. He formed me into the person He desires me to be. God made me with my personality, with my talents, and with my looks. Granted, I've changed some of that with how much I weigh, but God knew I would always struggle with my weight. I just need to be carefule with what I put into my mouth, and make sure I exercise.
God sees me and loves me just as I am. He wants me to do what Audio A suggests, "Go and Be." Be who He created me to be. Be the woman who loves to write novels and novellas and learn from other authors (that's why I read a ton of books...to learn). God doesn't want me to compare myself to other authors, He wants me to bring Him glory in the things I write. He wants me to be the mom who sees herself in her kiddos, the good, the bad, and the ugly, and love them as He loves me. He wants me to be the wife who my husband needs me to be, not who I think I should be.
So, while I may struggle with comparing myself to others, God draws me back to Him and His word. He has a plan and a purpose for me, for you. They are probably going to be very different, but that doesn't mean one is greater than the other. Today, I just wanted to encourage you to "Go and Be" who God designed you to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment