Monday, February 11, 2013

Love, Love, Love

Valentine's Week. A day people set aside to shower one another with gifts, flowers, and candy. Not my family, though. We wait until the day after, where everything is 50% off or more. My hubby and I started doing that shortly after we were married. One year, before our tradition began, he bought me a single red rose for over $25! I appreciated the thought, but that's just ridiculous! And so, our yearly tradition began.
Valentine's Day symbols the kind of love we ought to be sharing year round. Lately, Chris and I have been saying this to our boys, "Are you loving your neighbor as yourself?" If you think about it, we love ourselves quite a lot. Are we showing that kind of love to others? What about putting people's needs before our own? As a mom, we do this a lot. But, I can tell you, I don't do it with a loving attitude. I do it out of necessity. After all, if I decided when my boys were young that I was going to feed myself before I nursed them and made them suffer, that would seem cruel. So, I would take care of their needs and let my food get cold. Most mothers can attest to doing this. But how's my attitude? When I do things that are loving for my family or others, am I grumbling and complaining? That sort of takes away the action, doesn't it?
I can be honest and say it's hard to love others. It doesn't come naturally for most of us, yet we are called to do it. Truthfully, we are more than called, we're commanded. "Love as I have loved you." Hm. I do not exhibit Christ's love very much. An area I need to work on.
So this Valentine's Day and week, remember not to only love those when it is easy. But love others as we love ourselves, as Jesus loves us.

5 comments:

  1. A great reminder today Joi and something I definitely need to work on with God's help. We feel that way about Christmas as well, that folks should act and help the way they do at Christmas year round. It would make the world a much nicer place. Blessings, Susan Fryman

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel that way, too, Susan, when it comes to Christmas. :) Thanks for all of your support! :)

      Delete
  2. Your post reminded me of a verse and of my 6 year old who keeps telling me she loves everyone in the whole world even if they're mean to her. She's a real thinker. Here's to always striving to take the next step to be what God wants us to be and trusting that God will reveal to us what that is :) Happy Valentines Day/week!

    Luke 6:32 (NIV) “If you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? Even sinners love those who love them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen, Amy! I love that's what your daughter says! :) May have to steal it!

      Delete
  3. Need to learn to love others as Christ loved us. I know I wasn't deserving of His love. I am not perfect and He loves me so I in return need to learn to turn the other cheek and love no matter what. I can't make someone love me that is their decision, but at least I know my heart is clean.

    John 3:16
    joeym11@frontier.com

    ReplyDelete