Wednesday, May 22, 2013

When Tragedy Strikes

I listen to the radio when I work. Normally Klove or Way FM. Today, it was Klove, and hearing them talk about the tornado that ravaged Oklahoma tore my heart to pieces. My dad even called me today and we talked a bit about it. He gave me more details, which I'm sure many of you have heard. The tornado was 1.3 miles wide and stayed on the ground for 40 minutes. 40 very terrifying minutes.
I've been trying to wrap my head around the distruction, the loss of life, the leveled homes and buildings. I admit, I even asked, "Why, God?" This seems so pointless. Just like the shootings, the tsunamis, the earthquakes, and hurricanes.
Lives were destroyed in 40 minutes. Buildings that were meant to last were knocked down. Schools that were meant to keep children safe were the very things, once fallen apart, that hurt them. Oh, the saddness of it all. So, as many have asked this last week, where was God? Where is He now? Why didn't He stop it from happening.
To the last question, I answer this, "I have no idea." Nope. Not a clue. I don't know the mind of God. But I do know His heart. Where was God when the tornado appeared and shattered so many lives? He was right with those very people, no matter what their circumstances. Jesus was hurting with the ones who lost loved ones, and is still weeping with them. Jesus knows suffering. He knows what it's like to lose someone He loved dearly. He knew what it was like to face tragedy and not change the course of history. Jesus knew exactly what it meant to sacrifice oneself for those whom He promised He would protect (like the teachers covering the kids' bodies with their own).
I still don't understand why this happened or why bad things continually happen. I just don't. But I trust the One who holds my heart in His ever capable hands. So when tragedy strikes, I will bow my knees to the Father, on behalf of those hurt, of those whose lives have been drastically changed. Will you join me?

No comments:

Post a Comment