Saturday, July 20, 2013

A Clean Slate....Or Is It?

Recently, I held up a white board to the Lord, and said, "God, here's a clean slate for You to write
Your story through me." Whatever He wanted me to do, live, serve, be, I was all for. Excited, too, because I'd never done that before. Normally, I say to God, "I don't want to do this or that or live here or there." And what happens? God makes me do those things I said I didn't want to do. And I'm ok with that because His ways are far better than mine. Though, I normally wind up kicking and screaming along the way.
 But then it happened. I finally gave it all to the Lord and decided to trust him no matter what.
Back to the clean slate. I held it up and gave it to Him. Over the last week or so, I've noticed something: I've taken it back and began to write my own things on it. "God, I'll live in this area as long as there are no tornados, floods, earthquakes." (Not that I'm moving, just as an example). But see, I didn't write it in the middle. No, that would be too obvious and take up too much room. I wrote it along the side of the board. Doesn't take up too much space and still allows God to write His story.
I held it up once more, proud as can be. But again, as time went on, I realized I had a few more provisions for the Lord. "God, I'll do this as long as it is safe and not dangerous in any way, shape, or form." I continued to write along the side of the board, so God could still write His story.
Back and forth this went until I had written so much that the Lord had no room to write what He wanted for my life. I was so proud of myself at first. Thinking I was finally letting God have all of my life and I'd go along for the ride. When I saw all the writing and scribbles, I realized I'd asked God to guide me, to lead me, to help me follow His direction for my life. But like the back seat driver I am, I told Him where to go,what to do, and how to do it.
He doesn't work that way, does He? Well, maybe in your life He does, my not mine! So, I took that whiteboard or slate, and I erased all the things I'd written, my time table for things to happen, my desires, my wants, my fears. Instead, I offered up to Him a clean slate, one that is fresh and new so that Jesus can write His story on my life. I can't wait to see what He writes down. I'm nervous, excited, and looking forward to the great adventure He has planned for me!
What about you? Have you written your story or are you allowing God to do it? What's been your biggest challenge?

6 comments:

  1. Great post! I can totally relate. I feel like I have a testimony in regard to this . . . About 2 years ago, I spent a whole summer hearing God say over and over and over again, "Rhonda, will you do whatever I ask you to do, even if it doesn't make sense?" - "Of course, Lord!" I would easily say . . . And, I felt that confirmation when I accepted a job at an insurance company, which I kept up until this past April, when I felt the Lord confirming in my spirit that that particular "season" He had taken me through was over. Sure, working there was extremely trying and difficult and completely out of my comfort zone, but the Lord's presence kept me strong and He continually gave me reassurance that, even though me working there didn't make sense to anyone, including myself, He showed me why He had me there as my time there came to a close. See, He was preparing my husband and I for something greater. Now, we are getting ready to take the next step in an exciting journey together working as full-time house parents!! It's definitely worth it to give God a clean slate to work with!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so exciting, Rhonda! What does it mean to be "full time house parents?"

      Delete
  2. My biggest challenge has been fear. That I'd make a mistake, I wasn't good enough or I didn't trust him enough. I've had to let go many times and erase like a fiend. I think I'm at a point in my life where more and more of the slate is empty from my junk and God's filling in the blanks. Great post and something I continually work on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too, Penny! I totally understand where you're coming from! :)

      Delete
  3. Beautiful Article, really inspired me... thanks

    ReplyDelete