Saturday, July 13, 2013

Are You on an Adventure?

My in-laws are in town. My father-in-law had never seen The Hobbit (which I love), so one night, we put it on. I absolutely love this movie. I couuld watch it again and again and not get bored. Unfortunately, since I was up early that morning, I fell asleep. But not before a part in the movie that really got me thinking.
Bilbo wakes up to find the his guests gone. On a quick side note, how that many men can be that quiet in the morning is beyond me. But that's beside the point. His house is left empty, not a single one is there. He wanders around a minute or so and then decides he wants to go with them.
The next scene you see him running through the Shire with a paper in his hand. Other hobbits give him a weird look and one finally asks, "Where are you going?" To which Bilbo replies, "I'm going on an adventure."
An adventure. I often think I want to go on an adventure. Try something new. See something different. Be different when I return. Then it hit me: I am on an adventure. This life, this world we live in, is truly that. An adventure. Adventures don't always go as planned.
There are troubles along the way. One of Bilbo's first problems is when he has to face the trolls. Three dim-witted villians who try to eat him and his company. What does Bilbo do? He stalls for enough time for the sun to rise. Gadalf getting there was beyond what he expected, but a huge blessing. And that's what we do. We stall and wait for the Son to rise.  On this adventure of life, don't we often wait for Jesus to show up? We think all is lost, but that's not the case. Jesus comes to our rescue in His timing, His way. Adventure is relying on something or Someone when everything else is out of control.
Adventures rarely go smoothly. I may have a plan for my adventure, a road I want to travel. But then, that road becomes closed due to mishaps along the way, or in Bilbo's case, Orcs. In my life, I've had to change course, go a different way because something or someone stopped me from reaching my destination. And that's ok. Changing course in this adventure we call life is a must.
And, like Bilbo, we face giants. He faced rock giants that battled each other. We face giants that we must battle in our life. Those giants can shake us to the core and make us doubt the path we're on. Bilbo ended up hanging  on the side of a cliff, thinking his life was over. Giants will do that to us, won't they? Leave us with no hope of surviving our adventure. But then, we have friends and family come along, lift us up, and surround us with love and compassion and joy that we made it out alive.
Remember when Bilbo's talking to all the dwarves about why he didn't quit when he had the chance? He said it was because he had a home to go to, and he wanted to help them get back to their rightful home. That's what we should be doing. We have a home and ought to help others find their way there, too.
One more analogy to The Hobbit. Remember how it ended? It left us wanting more. The movie wasn't over because the other two hadn't been finished yet. Our life, our adventure, isn't over. We must continue to walk the road set before us until the day we go Home to be with Jesus. Then our adventure is done. Our story isn't finished.
Whether we are missionaries, co-workers, friends, family, no matter what our jobs are or who we have gathered around us, enjoy this adventure. We will have bumps and bruises along the way. We may face our Goblin King with a dragon on the horizon. But, surround yourself with people who will speak the truth in love and shower you with encouragement. Because this life is just one big adventure. Enjoy it, Embrace it, the good and the bad. And long for the day when it's over and we can say we endured until the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment