Saturday, July 27, 2013

Giddy!

My boys will be at camp next week. That alone should make me giddy. While I am excited for them
and for Chris and I, that's not what's making me giddy. Nope. It's the gift Chris and I will have for them when they get home.
Last summer, we bought the boys new bikes. Their old ones were just about done ready to be put out to pasture. Poor guys only got to ride them for about two months before the tires flattened. We wanted to get the good tubes that wouldn't puncture in a matter of minutes, so we held off fixing them...and continued to hold off....

Until this week.

Gage and I had gone to Walmart to pick up some things, and he asked me when they were going to get their bikes fixed.  I really wanted to tell him that Chris and I had plans to fix them while they were at camp, but I held my tongue. Instead, I said, "Now's not the time. Be patient." His little face deflated like a popped balloon.

 Which got me thinking....

How many times have we asked God for something and have Him tell us, "Now's not the time. Be patient." But oh, how we want what we've asked for. Believe me. I'm in that spot right now. I want some answers to some intense questions, but God says, "Wait." And like Gage, my face drops and falls like that deflated balloon.

But I can't see what God does, like Gage doesn't see what I see.

I see Saturday, when the boys get home, and Chris and I suggest they go for a bike ride. I see the perfect timing for the boys to get their, "perfect gift" that they've been waiting and waiting for.

Gage sees the thing he wants and that he doesn't get to have it now.

I've done that, haven't you? We ask God for something, He tells us wait, and we get bummed that we don't have it right now. But God's plans are better than ours. He sees the bigger picture, I only see a snapshot.

James 1:17 "Every good thing given and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shifting shadow."

God has perfect gifts in store for me. Not when I want it, but when He's ready to give it. And I can just picture God, giddy with what's to come. Like how I feel about the boys' bikes. I'm giddy and can hardly wait to give them their bikes all fixed.  If I were to give them their bikes today or yesterday, they wouldn't have had time to enjoy them before going off to camp.

If God gave us what we longed for now, would we really enjoy and appreciate it? We might think so, but God knows our hearts better than we do.

So what about you? What are you waiting for that is just going to make God giddy when He gives it to you?

6 comments:

  1. Thank you for your post. It brought tears to my eyes.

    I'm waiting for the truth to come out regarding a family issue. I have been waiting for 8 months now. My hubby says wait, God has a bigger plan for you. Right now, I don't know or understand what it could be....and so I wait. God always wants the best for His children.

    Blessings!
    Judy B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judy, I will be praying for you and the situation!

      Delete
  2. Great post, Joi, and so true. Patience!

    ReplyDelete