Friday, July 5, 2013

What's A Girl To Do?

I'm overweight. It's sad but true. About thirty pounds, actually, As long as I can remember, I've
struggled with my weight. Ups and downs have been a constant in my life. It's tough. I have three sisters who are "tall drinks of water" as I've heard it said. And one sister who is shorter than I am but beautiful. And then there's me.
I don't say that to get attention. This is just the way I've always viewed myself. Not beautiful. Nothing to draw people's attention to me. Then add the weight issue. Ugh. It's tough. I've compared myself to my sisters for years on end and many other women I know. I always come up short.
Five years ago, Chris and I decided to do Weight Watchers (with a push from my sister). We did awesome. Lost 40 pounds each. I'd never felt so good, but that was short lived. I let my desire for food and what I wanted to eat get the best of me. And I gradually saw the weight return.
Now, as I write this, I'm the heaviest I've been since moving to Colorado. I don't like my body and am constantly complaining about it. But to do something? Well, that would require too much work. Even though I know gluttony is a sin and eating too much isn't good for me physically, mentally, or spiritually, I didn't change anything.
That's about to change. I'm at the point where eating healthy and enjoying it is a must. Not just for me, but for my family, too. I know at least one of my boys is going to struggle with his weight for the rest of his life, so I need to teach him now how to make healthy choices, to exercise.
Today, I've started reading, "Made to Crave", counted my points I had for breakfast, and walked two miles. I have a pedometer to count  my steps, and I realize I don't move nearly as much as I thought I did. I'm excited to get back on track, to fit into my jeans before Fall hits. I need to do this. I desire to do this.
So, for those of you who want to, keep me accountable, ok? The Bible tells me, "A desire accomplished is sweet to the soul." My desire isn't just to lose weight but to make a life style change by eating smaller portions, healthier choices, and exercising. And then, I'll accomplish my desire. Thanks for listening to my ramblings today. And let the journey begin!

8 comments:

  1. Wow. It takes a brave woman to write what you just wrote and to be that open with the world. I love you and will be praying for you, supporting you, and taking this journey with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joi, I know how you feel about self esteem, but truthfully, you are adorable. If you worked at Disneyland, you could have been Ariel. You have a lovely face and an infectious smile. You have a fun personality and you are very giving. In my eyes, you ARE beautiful. We should hold each other accountable. Since our house guests arrived, I have gained back 5 pounds... probably from stress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joi, I know how you feel about self esteem, but truthfully, you are adorable. If you worked at Disneyland, you could have been Ariel. You have a lovely face and an infectious smile. You have a fun personality and you are very giving. In my eyes, you ARE beautiful. We should hold each other accountable. Since our house guests arrived, I have gained back 5 pounds... probably from stress.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your transparency Joi. I admire you and your determination. I've never seen you as anything different than a godly woman who loves her family and friends. I will be praying for you as you perservere through this journey. That you will be blessed more by the journey than the outcome you acheive. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Jeni!I appreciate your encouragment! Love you, friend! Mom, I appreciate yours, too, and Chris'! :) I know I'll get there. It won't be easy, and it'll take work, but I'm game. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can definitely relate to everything you share. Thank you for your honesty. This is a goal I am pursuing right now, as well, so I welcome the accountability and prayers. :-) I will be praying for you! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rhonda! I will be praying for you, as well! Keep in touch with me and we can hold each other accountable. My downfall right now? Peppermint mochas from Starbucks! Eeek! :)

      Delete
  7. Joi:

    Thank you very much for your honesty. The timing of this post was uncanny for me, as I am having been struggling with the same thoughts. I can definitely relate to everything you share. Right now, I have the same goals. And, not just go regain my "happy" weight, but to be healthy again. I'm tired of feeling sick & tired after eating, if that makes sense. I'm looking into the gluten-free options, as I'm noticing that I'm not feeling well after a lot of the foods/drinks listed on the gluten-free list. I covet your prayers and I will plan to pray for you as well! It's not an easy journey, but one that is well worth it! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete