Monday, August 26, 2013

A House Lived In

When Chris and I first got married, we lived in a great townhome. 3 bedrooms, 2 1/2 bathrooms, and
paid only $850. It was great! And it was almost always clean. Really, with two of us, how messy could it get?
Then we bought a 2 bedroom, 1 bathroom condo, and again, with just the two of us, it stayed pretty clean. Once kids came along, our condo/house we bought became messier, but the boys would pick up after themselves, and since they were little, I'd help them. We had our days of messiness, don't get me wrong, but overall, it was a pretty clean house.
I'm not sure how it happened, but once we moved to Colorado, and our children got older, the house became messier. Chris and I have taught them to pick up after themselves, and if they don't do it right, we make them do it again. But I'm not going to come in after them and clean it the way I do. It won't teach them a whole lot. Yes, there are times when I will clean a boy's room because we have guests who are going to stay in that room, or I will super clean the house on my own if they are in school and I have the time (working and writing takes up a lot of time and leaves me with little).
The other day, we had family come in for Chris' aunt's memorial service. My wonderful mother-in-law offered to have the luncheon at her house. And for that, I am thankful. I've been working a lot of hours, we had a slight flooding in my work area, and I needed to have Gage's room clean for our guest. I just didn't have the time to super clean like I wanted. But that was okay. People weren't going to come over to my home, except for my guest, but she raised 3 boys and knew how it was.
We ended up having Chris' family come over after the memorial service in Colorado Springs. I wasn't too concerned because, well, my house is lived in. We have three boys who make messes, who spill things on our carpet at times. Chris will dye my hair in our living room, and for the first time in 14 years, I dropped it on our carpet. Oops.
I don't have a lot of breakable things to display in my home. I'm not looking to have a gorgeous filled house, but a house lived in.
When we bought our house a year ago, we prayed God would put us in the neighborhood where we can be used. We prayed that we wouldn't have a gorgeous home, but one where our friends, family, neighbors and kids would feel comfortable. Where laughter can ensue and tears can be shed. We prayed for a place that was large enough to host a small group bible study (beginning this September we will be), a place where we can have neighborhood Christmas parties and s'more parties. We prayed for a place that would suit our needs, but more importantly, where people can come, sit, and relax.
My house isn't always going to be clean, even if we have get togethers. I may have stuff piled on my desk or on the futon. I may have our end tables a little crowded with stuff. And sometimes, it gets on my nerves. I like a clean house. But here's the one thing I will remember, my house is lived in.
Giggles come from the boys and their friends as they play hide and seek in the house or jump on our trampoline. I love having our house be the place to hang out, even if that means it will be messy because let's face it, having 3 boys of my own and then each have a friend over, my home will not be a clean, or a quiet home.
Is my house a home? You bet. Is it clean? Not every day. Am I okay with that? Yep, because mine is a home that is well lived in.

6 comments:

  1. Great post. I can so relate - and I need that T-shirt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your post Joi!!! Mine to is well lived in. My sons are now grown but have grandkids here to take their place during the day. I will always have the good memories of playing with them and not worried about everything else. I hope they will remember me has being fun with them. Just keep on plugging away enjoy life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Attitude! Way to make your home a place of comfort and community! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the idea of having a perfect home came in when the work that women traditionally did-- brewing, baking, pickling, making cheese, etc. was moved to factories and the women not only didn't have enough to do and were bored, but were also shut out of meaningful work (like writing, unless they sent the work in under a man's name.) What was left but housekeeping?



    ReplyDelete